Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What 5 lil monsters can do to you....

For once, since I arrived in this country...I felt stressed after work. Yes, something I haven't had for a while. For about a week now, instead of 3 boys I have 5 boys to look after. I love them, but... sometimes, like today... I really want to pull all my hair out.

Chuks 8, Ugo 6, Chidi 3. Now there is also Uyi 7, and Irobosa 5. At ONE same moment, it is possible that 3 of them are shrieking and jumping up and down, crying, talking to me, telling me different things at the top of their voices, trying to drown out the other two... and 2 of them are kicking and slapping each other and all I could do is raise my voice above all the noise to get some attention. Even then, it only lasts at most 2 seconds before it all resumes.

And when I stand in between the kicking and slapping ones, I get punched or kicked as if I do not exist while they continue to tear at each other. And man, they really kick and smack real hard. Not kiddy punches or kiddy kicks yeah. I think they can beat up robbers and muggers real good with their little hands and legs.

Today also, I have collected in my head easily their wide vocabulary of foul language. The entire day they have been screaming and wailing and swearing at the top of their voices. I really don't know what most of them means... but it sure sounds insulting and the way they say it really is offensive.

Their favourite number one thing to call and insult each other today is "Dummie nine nine one". Okay, I haven't googled it. It's probably something really bad, I don't know. But they start tearing at each other as soon as one says it to another. I've only said "OMG" like a million times today in my head while they do that over and over and over again.

When they are playing on the Nintendo Wii, they have three remote controls so 3 of them play at one time. That means 3 of them will be whacking each other, crying out LOUD in pain and end in tears every five minutes or so. Then when I threaten to switch the Wii off, I get a SUPER LOUD "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.............!!!!!" like a tragic cry. Seriously... then stop whacking each other and stop jumping and stop screaming at each other. "Okay, sorry Jasmine..." then *WHACKKKK* "Owwww!!!" Tears start running down the boys' cheeks and they come to me showing me their hand or face or head again that's been whacked. I said "Stand away from each other PLEASEEEEEE??" "OK, sorry Jasmine..." I turn around to pick up the laundry and then I hear "OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YOU DUMMIE NINE NINE ONE!!" " DON'T CALL ME DUMMIE NINE NINE ONE YOU STINKY POO POO!!"
*Slap, smack, punch, kick*

This goes on the entire day, except for when they are sitting down eating... Even then, "Jasmine, I don't like onion rings", "Okay, finish your chips then please" , "Jasmine, is there more pizza after this?", "Jasmine, can I have more ketchup please?", "Jasmine, he's kicking me under the table", "Jasmine, can I have Ribena flease?"(the flease boy pleads as if in great suffering), "Jasmine, can I have orange juice please?", "WHO LIKES PEPPERONI? THEY'RE DISGUSTINGGG!!", "I feel like throwing up..." , "JASMINE, HE'S GOING TO VOMIT!!!" *All scream in horrific fear of vomit*

*Splat* A huge piece of food drops on the carpet and all eyes look at me in anticipation seeing what I will do. "Sighhhhhhhhhhh..... (breathe Jasmine, breathe) Okay, who dropped that?" "NOT ME! NOT ME! NOT ME! NOT ME!" I look under the table... "Okay, pick that up now please...", I said in my calmest possible voice "IT'S UGO!! IT'S UGO!" "SHUT UP YOU DUMMIE NINE NINE ONE!""YOU SHUT UP!" "YOU SHUT UP" "Jasmine, he's asking me to shut up... mummy says he's not supposed to tell me to shut up".... (OMG.......)

The unpredictable weather today didn't help as the boys all like to go out to play in the back garden, but it's wet outside so they can't. Makes it worse when they stay indoors all day long. Also of course, that means I got to go in and out to put out the laundry and then to bring them all in again because it suddenly begins to pour, and when I run out to collect the laundry the boys shout in joy thinking they can all go outside and a mad rush to put on all their shoes at the same time, and I had to shout to tell them that it is raining and please to go inside. I don't know? Do little boys not have good eyesight? Can't they see it's raining? Sighhh.....I get all wet in the rain after bringing in the laundry, put down the basket and I see one of them crying and I asked, "Well, what's wrong now?" "YOU WON'T LET US OUTSIDE!!" My mouth fell open, not knowing what to say for a second. I caused him to cry now? (OMG) Seriously?

It wasn't too bad when it was only three boys to look after. But when the cousins - Uyiosa and Irobosa is around, the day can either be totally horrifying like today - or they can be extreme angels all at the same time. They just affect each other so easily. One screams, and all 4 others scream. One cries, and all 4 others are cry babies for the day. It only takes ONE to be angelic, and all 4 others will try to be the same. Today...just isn't the day.

All is good when daddy/ uncle finally comes home. I didn't even hear him as I was busy cleaning/ hoovering the room full of lego pieces and food crumbs. My stress levels dropped almost immediately...and realised that it was six o'clock. It was awesome how when the man steps into the house, the boys fell silent...

Ah well... that's today:) Fingers crossed for a better tomorrow:)

4 Comments:

Blogger sin said...

wah seh.. can only imagine how the situation is like. try rewarding them when they can sit quietly for half a day?

jangan sampai hypertension oi! breathe! :)

3:26 AM  
Blogger nyting said...

lolz....don't worry:) A part of me has already numbed to the "noise" and "whines"....and they get loads of rewards as well:)

Once the cousins leave, it will all be much better again!!:)

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard the commotion over the phone that day when we talked. I figured it was war zone. Maybe u should try not to entertain bad behaviour. Tell them what behaviour means. E.G. screaming, shouting, crying, beating each other up. Then when they act up, don't entertain - don't look (u may steal glances just so they don't kill each other), don't say anything, don't reply, don't scream to gain attention. Just behave as if you cannot see or feel at all if they go beyond the limit. They need to come back to the "upper normal limit" so you can "be there for them". It doesn't matter if they shout themselves hoarse. Once they learn they need to talk properly to gain your attention, they might just abandon their "bad behaviour". The occasional loud voices and tears are okay. Just don't entertain the major ones - SCREAMING, HOWLING, YELLING, etc. Good luck!!

10:45 AM  
Blogger nyting said...

cyanide: hehe.... good advice from the professional in the psy department. noted with much thanks:)

the parents are very good at disciplining and explaining "reasoning" to the children. so they already know really. but when "bad" company comes around, they forget very quickly all the things they already know.

but yes, i have been ignoring the youngest and naughtiest one, and he's quietened quite a fair bit since the first day i met him:)

i'll definitely seek more advice from you in the future...:)

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home