Sunday, June 15, 2008

Jobs Jobs Jobs...

Applied...or asked about for that is:

1) Starbucks - I've sent in my official application form the second day I got here. My application was put on a big stack of all the other million applications they receive everyday. The starting pay for Starbucks is £5.80 per hour. Not bad I suppose, then you get promoted and stuff. Anyway, if I don't hear back from them within 14 days (that's what they say in the forms), that's it. They are pretty efficient I think.
2) Oasis - a random boutique in Croydon, they just finished recruiting.
3) Ann Summers - a random lingerie boutique in Croydon, not hiring.
4) Tesco Purley - not recruiting until end of the year.
5) GAME - a game shop in Croydon, not recruiting until end July.
6) TopShop - not recruiting unless someone resigns.
7) Dorothy Perkins - Same as TopShop, but maybe they'll hire around Christmas time again.
8) Toby Carvery - a restaurant/inn right outside where I live - chefs vacancies available only.
9) Vue - cinema in Croydon that is super empty, I think it's haunted or something. No vacancy at the branch nearby.
10) Tiger Tiger - a pub in town, they are recruiting, but I chickened out and did not send in my application cos I was worried bout my safety. Lolz.. I might actually apply though, if money is tight really.
11) Whitgift Customer Service Information Point - This is like Parkson or Isetan kinda place, God, the ladies that sit there look SUPER bored. Anyway, I did ask, not recruiting until July too.
12) A Christian bookstore - they just finished recruiting.
13) WH Smith - Also a bookstore, they also just finished recruiting. By when I was like "Whoa, did I arrive just a week too late or what? A lot of these people are telling me they just FINISHED recruiting..."
14) Lush - Something like Body Shop where they sell soaps and aroma therapy stuff, again..they just finished recruiting. Try again maybe Christmas time...
15) A couple more random places in town - boutiques mostly... none of which are hiring.

Who would think it'd be that tough to get an odd job huh?

On the third morning I was here, as I was walking from my place to Gene's though...some sort of magic happened, I met someone. Okay, I won't say more... can't say more. I'll tell you guys when and if it happens. :) Fingers and toes crossed it happens...um, yeah thought it's nothing spectacular or anything really...Cross 'em!!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a good sign that you're already on the job hunt. Everything there must be eating off portions of your money. So getting a temp job asap is good for you.

Funny though that most of the companies there have already done their recruiting. Looks like job hunting there is by season or at least so's my guess.

Also, now I'm keen to find out who you 'meet' and what 'magic' happened!

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, it's really hard to get a job there huh? probably starbucks will reply? good luck on the job and that someone (whoever he/she is)!! btw, buy toasters for what... save money la... hahahahahahah...

6:47 AM  
Blogger nyting said...

yeah man... damn, I wanted to buy a toaster cos I couldn't find one at my place. There was one at pg's place. Then, of course i won the bidding on ebay, and I got myself a new toaster at £1.70. Then my housemate showed me where the toaster was... right at the top of the cabinets, hidden and out of my reach.. geez...:P

Hmm yeah, summer's coming up and lots of students have applied earlier so they can start working immediately when hols start. So yeap, I sorta arrived a week too late!

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home